centos vm error destination host unreachable.

kuldeepbti

May 8, 2020
Am new I have setup proxmox server today and created just one centos vm am facing issue with my VM machine for network this machine not connected to outside the network no internet not pinging to host proxmox server. Am using static public ip for this VM centos machine and static public ip on proxmox machine.Am attaching two screenshots for better understing one for host machine "interface" file and other for guest vm "ip addr and ping". i want to use guest vm with public IP not with private ip please suggest me what i can do.

Attachments

• ifcfg.jpg
    ifcfg.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 38
  • interface.jpg
    interface.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 37
If your VM is connected to vmbr0 and the IP is in the same network of vmbr0, than PVE and VM should be accessing each other.

I recomend you fix this before proceeding.

Can you ping the gateway address ?

Hello Bruno

Vm is connected with vmbr0 bridge and vm and pve both in same public network however Am no able to ping gateway and host pve from vm getting destination host unreachable. However when i change vm machine model virtIO to vmware vmxnet3 then vm machine internet working with private 10.1.10. series network but i need this vm with public network so i can use it wth ssh and install applications which can work with public ip's only.

Hi!

If vmxnet3 works, keep it.

There must be a problem with this public address. At providers like OVH and Hetzner you must set the given MAC address for the public IP to work.

This public IP works anywhere else ?

Hello Bruno

model vmxnet3 works but it assign private ip range 10.0.10.--- i need this vm machine with public ip so it can be accessed outside the world.

The static public ip which am using not used anywhere else

Hello Bruno

model vmxnet3 works but it assign private ip range 10.0.10.--- i need this vm machine with public ip so it can be accessed outside the world.

The static public ip which am using not used anywhere else

I'm having this exact same problem with Centos 7 as well custom distros using centos with KVM.
The funny thing is, during the setup up of Centos (via KVM; via GUI) and enter my ip address details manually, I can ping my public ip address from another computer just fine. As soon as the setup completes and Centos reboots, I can no longer ping it nor access the internet from that machine. I get the same "network is unreachable" when attempting to ping public ip addresses. I cannot ping my gateway either. I'm dead in the water.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!