CentOS 8 Container?

fernback

Nov 14, 2017
I've never really paid attention to newly released distros before, so I'm curious when we should expect to see a template for CentOS 8.

Thanks!

Reactions: shantanu
the official one can take a little bit, but there'll be some user created ones for sure in a couple of days

Thanks for the heads up! I just set it up using the latest amd_64 template (20191013) and everything seems to be working!

if you're getting an error while creating a new container similar to this:

Code:
TASK ERROR: unable to create CT unsupported centos release

you probably need to perform a little change on this file: /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/CentOS.pm

something like this should be enough:

Code:
sed -i 's/ < 8) {/ < 9) {/' /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/CentOS.pm

and then restart related services:

Code:
       systemctl restart pveproxy pvedaemon

by the way, I've tested this one: https://uk.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/centos/8/amd64/cloud/20191015_07:08/rootfs.tar.xz

and everything seems fine by now. I'll try to report back if I found any issues.

Strange, I had no issue like this. I'm on PVE 6.0-7 and used CentOS8 cloud image from Oct 12 and 13.

Code:

you probably need to perform a little change on this file: /usr/share/perl5/PVE/LXC/Setup/CentOS.pm

Code:

Code:

by the way, I've tested this one: https://uk.images.linuxcontainers.org/images/centos/8/amd64/cloud/20191015_07:08/rootfs.tar.xz

and everything seems fine by now. I'll try to report back if I found any issues.

this shouldn't be necessary. the release number of the template is still 8. (8.0.1905 but we only capture the first digit here for checking)

i just tried with the template you provided, had no issues.

this shouldn't be necessary. the release number of the template is still 8. (8.0.1905 but we only capture the first digit here for checking)

i just tried with the template you provided, had no issues.
I had met this question too. I download official centos 8 template, it told me that TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 104 - unsupported centos release 'CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core) '

What version of proxmox? what is the minimal version required to support?

if i'm not mistaken, it should be pve-container >= 3.0-7

I had met this question too. I download official centos 8 template, it told me that TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 104 - unsupported centos release 'CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core) '
see my answer, you need pve-container >= 3.0-7 for it to work.

How can I update pve-container. My version is proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 and pve-container: 3.0-3

apt update && apt full-upgrade will update whole system.

updating single packages may cause instabilities, but if you can't update the whole system you can try: apt update && apt install pve-container and it should get the latest version

Code:

Code:

Code:

I can confirm this solved it for me

I can confirm this solved it for me

Hy guys, after i made this two because of the centos 8 now i have problems with centos 6, creating unprivilaged get this error:

tar: ./etc/udev/devices/ttya8: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted
tar: ./etc/udev/devices/zero: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted
tar: ./etc/udev/devices/ttyab: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted
tar: ./etc/udev/devices/kmem: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted

after i made it privilaged, no network working on it, not able to ssh ...etc

so now i dont even know how to fix this

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!