Centos 7 installation issue with console [SOLVED]

Jan 31, 2017
Hi,
Not sure if this has been brought up at all, but when installing centos 7 in proxmox the console is totally unusable due to the graphical installer which is in centos 7 now, and additionally the mouse does not work at all in the console. On the vm I have tried every monitor type and the best seems to be "VmWare compatible", still there is no way to see the entire screen during the installation and grab/move does not work either. I am currently using chrome, and firefox (latest version) is totally unusable to manage proxmox at all otherwise I would test that as well (cannot use the administration interface in firefox, clicking on items does not change the view). I am only concerned about the console size during the installation portion, it does not matter thereafter. Does anyone know of a work around for this?

Edit: Using the text install mode and setting the resolution to 1024x768 in the boot options before install is the only work around I have found so far. Not the best workaround because some options are not present in the text installation (partitioning / software selection).

proxmox-issue1.png

Last edited:
Tested here on PVE4 and PVE5 with novnc. Works great, i can see all the buttions and icons, everything is clickable. Did you use UEFI? When yes you must set your screenresolution in UEFI bios. If not, please post your VM-Config.
Code:
qm config <vmid>

Not using UEFI bios here, this is my vm config:

bootdisk: scsi0
cores: 8
ide2: LocalStore:iso/CentOS-7-x86_64-NetInstall-1611.iso,media=cdrom
memory: 8026
name: Centos7
net0: virtio=EE:9A:BE:8A:47:8C,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: Pool:101/vm-101-disk-1.qcow2,size=80G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=69060a5c-4d77-436f-8d9e-f6850a7bef8c
sockets: 4
vga: vmware

it looks like you are using a touch screen ?
have you tried moving the mouse with the touchscreen device, or deactivating it?

you can also deactivate the touch inputs in your browser:
e.g. for chrome/chromium:

go to chrome://flags
and deactivate
Touch Events API

it looks like you are using a touch screen ?
have you tried moving the mouse with the touchscreen device, or deactivating it?

you can also deactivate the touch inputs in your browser:
e.g. for chrome/chromium:

go to chrome://flags
and deactivate
Touch Events API

Thank you so much for the hint, I am actually using a Asus laptop which does have a touch screen and can confirm that your suggestion resolved the issue for me. It may be worth noting that if you swap between a device that has a touch screen and one that does not I had to restart the machine to get normal console behavior. For example I built a new vm and booted it to the centos 7 installer on my workstation, went through some of the items on the screen and saw all was working, then went into the console on my laptop and saw the touchscreen behavior so I closed that session and went back to my pc session, the screen acted like I was on a touchscreen then from my workstation, closing and reopening the console didn't help but rebooting the VM did. After disabling the touchscreen in chrome on my laptop though I did not have an issue with the console at all. Thank you so much!!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!