Can't update Windows 11 - The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows

KVM64 when migration/HA is important, HOST when I have passthrough or need the extra flags for a special case.

To minimize some pain, you could rip out some requirements on windows out of the .iso before with https://rufus.ie/en/
Grab a 22H2 iso and check https://youtu.be/Cn355NHsLsY?t=435
7:15 is the important part.

That’s very interesting
I didn’t know that some Windows requirements can be removed

In my case when I use kvm64 windows won’t be able to update and I don’t want to reinstall an activated windows instance

But host works for me

Last edited:
For several months, I have a VM running Windows 11 Pro with no issues with installation and upgrades. Today, I brought up a new Win 11 Pro, and, yep, got the 'CPU unsupported' when attempting an update to KB5022287 (2023-01 Cumulative). Comparing my old and new configs, the only difference was in Memory. Both have CPU type=host. Turned off the RAM balloon (balloon=0) in my new VM to match my old one. Nothing ripped out of anything. Using virtio-win-0.1.221. The new VM is now working just fine. Thought I'd share my experience. Just changed the CPU type on one of my VMs to KVM64 to see what happens. So far, no issues. 1000.conf and 1002.conf attached.

Attachments

• host-kvm4.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Late to the thread here... but I am having much better luck with the x86-64-v2-AES and x86-64-v3. Most modern CPUs should support either one or both of these CPU types.

And of course, if all else fails, you can always use host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!