Can't update Windows 11 - The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows

chudak

May 11, 2019
Happy Friday all!

I've been running Windows 11 on Proxmox ever since it was available and had no issues until the last 2 months.
Since the September update, I was not been able to update Windows 11 for no obvious reason.

It seemed to me a Windows-specific issue, but then after some troubleshooting, I tried to fix it and got an error "The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows". And then I realized that it can be related to some changes in how VM is configured.

My config looks like this:

agent: 1
balloon: 4096
bios: ovmf
boot: order=sata0;ide2;net0;ide0
cores: 4
cpu: kvm64
efidisk0: VMs:vm-107-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=4M
ide0: local:iso/virtio-win-0.1.208.iso,media=cdrom,size=543390K
ide2: local:iso/Win11_English_x64.iso,media=cdrom
machine: pc-q35-6.0
memory: 24576
name: windows11
net0: e1000=62:32:F2:2E:E5:EE,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
sata0: VMs:vm-107-disk-1,size=120G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=41eafb1f-ae54-4cb4-aeca-4424b4d49264
sockets: 3
tpmstate0: VMs:vm-107-disk-2,size=4M,version=v2.0
vga: virtio,memory=256

Anybody has seen such an issue and can hare some clues?

Thanks in advance!

"kvm64" only got a very limited instruction set. Maybe Windows needs some instructions that kvm64 isn't supporting? You could try it with CPU type "host" so the VM can make use of all instructions your physical CPU offers, but then you of cause may run into problems when running a cluster and migrating guests.

Reactions: HardyBiscuit
"kvm64" only got a very limited instruction set. Maybe Windows needs some instructions that kvm64 isn't supporting? You could try it with CPU type "host" so the VM can make use of all instructions your physical CPU offers, but then you of cause may run into problems when running a cluster and migrating guests.

I could try that, but I did install initially Windows 11 on kvm64 and had no issues.

So something has changed on the VM end?!

And a side note: Windows 10 shows no similar issues!

Which KB are you referring to? I may be able to help...not with a solution, but perhaps at least with eliminating some things. I just installed Win 11 Pro yesterday and everything went fine, including the updates that go during installation. I am also using kvm64 over host.

I just checked and saw that it wants me to do the 2022-10 Cumulative Update (KB5019509) and I am running that now. It is still going, but so far no issues reported. I'll let you know if all is well. I am going to bet this is some kind of stupid Microsoft thing more than anything else.

I get the point you have already made earlier here but I think perhaps it is too simplistic for several reasons.

1.) OP stated he has already had Win 11 installed on a VM, working and updating fine. Doubt that even MS would suddenly change their requirements mid-stream after it had been allowed to be installed initially.

2.) I am using the the kvm64 as well and I was able to install Windows 11 and I just checked and was able to update my install as well. No problems whatsoever.

Therefore, whether or not it is listed on MS's "approved processors" list seems irrelevant at this point since I have it working no problem and OP did up until the 2022-09 update.

I get it seems logical that is something to look at, for sure, I am not sure if it is very helpful to just tell someone it is not supported and leave it at that. We do a lot of things that are "unsupported" and yet they still work. Seems the issue here is something else and can be overcome once the issue is found.

am not sure if it is very helpful to just tell someone it is not supported and leave it at that.
No one suggested it. The purpose of looking at the system requirements page is to establish what is necessary to operate. Since I put my foot in my mouth, I guess I'll have to spell it out-
1. supported cpu. While I never attempted to install windows11 (hell, any workstation windows) on a hypervisor so I cant speak to KVM64 having the necessary extensions, it does seem like cpu in native mode with a supported cpu model would have better supportability- but I'll leave that to you guys to prove/disprove.
2. UEFI mode- VM needs to be set to q35 with UEFI boot.
3. TPM- v2 with tpm storage like so:
1666381287862.png

Having said all that-
I have it working no problem and OP did up until the 2022-09 update.
Seems like thats an answer in itself.

No one suggested it. The purpose of looking at the system requirements page is to establish what is necessary to operate. Since I put my foot in my mouth, I guess I'll have to spell it out-
1. supported cpu. While I never attempted to install windows11 (hell, any workstation windows) on a hypervisor so I cant speak to KVM64 having the necessary extensions, it does seem like cpu in native mode with a supported cpu model would have better supportability- but I'll leave that to you guys to prove/disprove.
2. UEFI mode- VM needs to be set to q35 with UEFI boot.
3. TPM- v2 with tpm storage like so:
View attachment 42474

Having said all that-

Seems like thats an answer in itself.

You know I hear what you are saying but again - how does it apply to my initial post?!

I installed Windows 11 a long time ago and was successfully running updates also for a long time and now I can't do it for the last 2 months.

How do you suggest resolving this again?

step 1. take a snapshot.
step 2. revert the update.

step 3. the vm working again. restore the snapshot, see if it'll boot to safe mode. if it does, start digging through event logs. may be worthwhile to remove any and all passthrough devices to it if there are any.
step 3b. the vm is not working- seems like something got hosed. I'd make a new VM and see if you can replicate.

I know this has nothing to do with your request, and this is just for my curiosity- but what's the purpose of running windows here in the first place?

edit: it occurs to me that maybe you didnt take a snapshot when the system was operational. in that case, try to boot safe mode- and then proceed to step 3b and remember to take snapshots. snapshots are your friends.

Last edited:
step 1. take a snapshot.
step 2. revert the update.

step 3. the vm working again. restore the snapshot, see if it'll boot to safe mode. if it does, start digging through event logs. may be worthwhile to remove any and all passthrough devices to it if there are any.
step 3b. the vm is not working- seems like something got hosed. I'd make a new VM and see if you can replicate.

I know this has nothing to do with your request, and this is just for my curiosity- but what's the purpose of running windows here in the first place?

I've done similar with backups and so far could not find a solution, spent 2 days with MSFT support with no love either.
The only help from MSFT was that when tried to reset Windows 11 I got the error "The processor isn't supported for this version of Windows" and that moved me to look at the VM.

I get that you don't like Windows. I use ubuntu for my day-to-day work. The only application I need Widowsn for is Quicken (not sure if that sounds familiar). I can easily keep updating Windows 10 (or keep using Windows 11 without updates, who cares), but really would like to understand WTF

Thx!

I get that you don't like Windows.
Nothing like that, no. I have and support windows workstations (well, my team, I'm too important ;)

The reason I ask is that a full fat windows vm is a very heavy solution for a hosted app, and that is before you consider that windows workstations are not licensable under virtualization. Consider that you have a singular purpose to have windows at all, I honestly wonder why you bothered to upgrade windows at all as long as windows 10 is supported.
but really would like to understand WTF
Why? is your time without value?

For anyone who can't use the type host: Using CPU type QEMU64 should make it compatible with W11 as long as the TPM and other checks are already compliant.

For anyone who can't use the type host: Using CPU type QEMU64 should make it compatible with W11 as long as the TPM and other checks are already compliant.

I tried that and it did not help.

Again - I am not trying a new installation, but running setup on top of existing Windows 11.

Finally today I ran out of my patience.
Windows 11 update actually showed me a message that my CPU is not supported.
I used to have KVM64

Changed to "host" and was able to update Windows 11

My question now is - what CPU type other people use for Win 11 ?

Thx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!