Can't stop PVE Backup Notifications

Boss

Apr 22, 2024
Hi, I configured the PVE Backups for each VM to "Always" send a notification. This was mainly to ensure that the backups were running as scheduled and to keep an eye on the amount of time it took.
Now that I'm happy with the setup, I've changed the backups to "Notify on Failure". However all the successful backup emails are still be sent.
Is there something else I need to do to turn off the notifications for successful backups?

You are going to have to check in at least 2 more places. (PVE notifications has undergone various iterations, & in my humble opinion is still a slight mess, it needs a complete haul over, but that's for another day).

1. In the backup job, check what the Notification mode is set to.
2. Do you have an email address setup there.
2. In the Datacenter Notifications check your setup.

Thanks for your prompt response
All Backup Jobs are set to Auto (Default) without an email address defined
In Notifications, there is 1 target "mail-to-root" which uses sendmail to send mail to root@pam
I've checked the root user and the email is set to the email address I'm monitoring.

All Backup Jobs are set to Auto (Default) without an email address defined
I'd leave it on Auto (Default) but enter the email address there. This way it will override the notification system, so in your case this should result in your desired choice to only receive notification on error. I know this is a bit of a mess - but I indicated above this could be the case.

See this post.

Thanks - I'll give that a try. Yes it's a bit counterintuitive!
Appreciate your time & help!

Thanks again for the tip - I only get emails for failed backups now.
However.... previously the received emails were from "Proxmox VE", now the failed backup emails are from "vzdump backup tool"
Is there any way to change the 'from' name on the failure emails?

AFAIK there is no simple way to do this. Have a look at this thread.

Maybe tag prefix this thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!