Can't restore VM: gpt signature detected

VTOLfreak

Nov 14, 2017
Target storage is LVM over iSCSI. (From a TrueNAS machine)
Backup source is PBS.
vm-101-disk-1 is the EFI boot disk of the VM.

This is on a Proxmox 7.0-4 BETA server:
  • Overwriting existing VM fails with error: gpt signature detected.
  • Removed VM, made sure all VM disks are gone in the storage view.
  • Restore VM again, same error.
Code:
root@proxmox01:~# qmrestore pbs-store1:backup/vm/101/2021-06-24T19:57:29Z 101 --force
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 4.00 MiB
  Logical volume "vm-101-disk-0" created.
new volume ID is 'truenas-lvm:vm-101-disk-0'
WARNING: gpt signature detected on /dev/proxmoxlvm/vm-101-disk-1 at offset 512. Wipe it? [y/n]: [n]
  Aborted wiping of gpt.
  1 existing signature left on the device.
  Failed to wipe signatures on logical volume proxmoxlvm/vm-101-disk-1.
  Logical volume "vm-101-disk-0" successfully removed
temporary volume 'truenas-lvm:vm-101-disk-0' sucessfuly removed
error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 101 state is NOT cleaned up.
lvcreate 'proxmoxlvm/vm-101-disk-1' error:   Aborting. Failed to wipe start of new LV.
root@proxmox01:~#

After removing the VM, disk vm-101-disk-1 should not exist at all, how is it still giving the same error?
Any ideas what is causing this?
Any way I can tell qmrestore to wipe the GPT signature?

[UPDATE] I created a new iSCSI target and a new LVM storage with the saferemove option in storage.cfg. This should prevent the problem from returning, now I just have to move my VM disks over and throw the old storage away.
I still don't know how to force qmrestore to overwrite gpt signatures. Is there a commandline switch for this?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!