can't restore /etc folder.

nertskull

Sep 13, 2020
So through an act of carelessness I accidentally deleted my entire /etc folder in my system.

I have a copy of the folder in my backups though, so I tried to rsync the folder back from my backup to /etc. But I get a "failed: operation not permitted (1)" error

I tried stopping all of the services starting with pve* using systemctl. And then I can delete etc copy over the original /etc folders and files.

But then when I reboot, things don't work. The only errors I've found thus far (there could be others) are:

Journalctl -xe tells me " failed to start proxmox ve replication runner.

Syslog says a few things like. /Etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key failed to load private key.

Ipcc_send_rec failed: connection refused

I feel like there should hopefully be a way to fix this, I have the files. My machines are all still there. I just can't figure out how to restore /etc. I guess worse case scenario I should be able to start fresh and add the vm .qcow images back in.

Sorry for not amazing log files, my pfsense is on this machines so I have no home network and I'm doing this all on my phone. But I can get full logs if needed.

There is a fuse system mounted to /etc from /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db

You will have to replace all files in /etc and also replace /var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db with your backup.

Make sure to also stop the pve-cluster service.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!