[SOLVED] Can't reach proxmox on given IP after installation

stickerey

Oct 14, 2023
Hi all,

I installed Proxmox on a hp elitedesk mini pc and during the process I entered
  • 192.168.1.101 for the ip
  • 192.168.1.1 for gateway
  • 192.168.1.1 for DNS (or should I use the one I get from my ISP? doesn't work with it either anyways)
The minipc is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

Problem is that I cannot connect to proxmox via https://192.168.1.101:8006

From the proxmox console i see the following:

Attachments

• resized.png
    resized.png
    858.1 KB · Views: 35
The minipc is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.
eno1 reports NO-CARRIER, which usually indicated that the cable is not plugged in or is faulty. Can you try another cable? Does your router see a connected cable? Do you see anything in journalctl -b 0 (scroll with the arrow keys) that might indicate network or driver issues?

eno1 reports NO-CARRIER, which usually indicated that the cable is not plugged in or is faulty. Can you try another cable? Does your router see a connected cable? Do you see anything in journalctl -b 0 (scroll with the arrow keys) that might indicate network or driver issues?
I tried now with a cable that I works for sure, but it is the same. My router doesn't see this connected device. i see no errors that would be related to this. Can this LAN port somehow be disabled in bios, or in any other way?

Also: shouldn't the lan port led give some light response when I plug the cable in, and the port works properly?

Last edited:
I tried now with a cable that I works for sure, but it is the same. My router doesn't see this connected device. i see no errors that would be related to this. Can this LAN port somehow be disabled in bios, or in any other way?
Maybe, I don't know anything about your hardware or BIOS or router settings. Please check whether other devices can connect to your router via the same port (and cable).
Also: shouldn't the lan port led give some light response when I plug the cable in, and the port works properly?
I would think so. Even if both sides could not negotiate successfully on a speed etc., I would expect some blinking lights.

It's possible that the port on either side of the cable it broken. Or maybe your network controller is not working with Proxmox due to a driver issue? What network controller and driver do you see in the output of lspci -nnk?

My guess would be another realtek r8169 driver issue. Please run the command leeasteken provided to check that.

Maybe, I don't know anything about your hardware or BIOS or router settings. Please check whether other devices can connect to your router via the same port (and cable).

I would think so. Even if both sides could not negotiate successfully on a speed etc., I would expect some blinking lights.

It's possible that the port on either side of the cable it broken. Or maybe your network controller is not working with Proxmox due to a driver issue? What network controller and driver do you see in the output of lspci -nnk?
the relevant line I get back is:

00:1f:6. Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (5) I219-LM. [8086:15e9]
DeviceName: Onboard Lan
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ethernet Connection (5) 1219-LM
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e

00:1f:6. Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (5) I219-LM. [8086:15e9]
DeviceName: Onboard Lan
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Ethernet Connection (5) 1219-LM
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e
What is the output of journalctl -b 0 | grep e1000e?

I don't have a clue, sorry. Does the network controller work when you boot the system with a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu or GParted)? Maybe it's not Proxmox specific and you can search for similar issues with e1000e or I219-LM and Linux in general.

I don't have a clue, sorry. Does the network controller work when you boot the system with a Linux Live CD (like Ubuntu or GParted)? Maybe it's not Proxmox specific and you can search for similar issues with e1000e or I219-LM and Linux in general.
Actually I just checked with a windows 11 install and Windows 11 installer also says Not Connected to Ethernet. So i guess the lan device or the input is broken somehow

Reactions: leesteken
Actually I just checked with a windows 11 install and Windows 11 installer also says Not Connected to Ethernet. So i guess the lan device or the input is broken somehow
At least when Windows does not work, you can contact the seller or manufacturer for support or repair.

Check for i219 "ULP". This power-management feature has already been responsible for a lot of issues in the past. On Windows you have a direct driver option to work around it. For Linux, I honestly am not sure how to handle it. But it usually shows with a link down scenario. Often accompanied by strange LAN-LED behavior.
Maybe worth a shot.

Last edited:
Check for i219 "ULP". This power-management feature has already been responsible for a lot of issues in the past. On Windows you have a direct driver option to work around it. For Linux, I honestly am not sure how to handle it. But it usually shows with a link down scenario. Often accompanied by strange LAN-LED behavior.
Maybe worth a shot.
found that there may be a workaround for that, but I have to use 'make' command which is not recognizable by proxmox and can't do anything without internet. can I somehow 'make install' on proxmox?

Okay, so issue is resolved and I thought I'd share it here.

I connect my devices to the router via wall ethernet sockets (Cat 5e) For some reason the mini pc would not detect that there is a cable plugged in to the router this way. I tried putting the mini PC to my rack and connect it directly to the router and this way it worked.

If someone has any idea, why does this happen, please share it, I'd be grateful to learn more.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!