Can't ping from outside network to Nested Proxmox

professor_pk

May 29, 2024
I had installed Proxmox, which seems to be working fine Even internet is working in all VM, but i cant connect from my PC using RDP as ports are not opening.

I already allowed Inbound/Outbound connections on all ports in Windows VM firewall

1717000247621.png

1717000131722.png

A quick next step would be going into the shell and using tcpdump to see if the traffic is making it into the Proxmox Node.

Code:
tcpdump -n -i vmbr1 host 192.168.10.100

If the connection between your computer and the Proxmox Node is working correctly, you should see packets listed in the tcpdump output. These packets will have your computer's IP address as the source and 192.168.10.100 (the Proxmox Node) as the destination for outgoing traffic. You should also see packets in the other direction, with the Proxmox Node as the source and your computer as the destination for incoming responses.

I'm not sure what you were doing with Powershell to find a port number on an interface.

Since you're not seeing your computer's IP address on the bridge interface, it's pretty clear that your machine isn't even reaching the interface. You could try going further down below the bridge and use the actual physical interface for the tcpdump. You might have to use ifup to bring that interface online if tcpdump complains that the device isn't configured.

To check the iptables rules you can run

Code:
iptables -L -n

You could also disable the firewall and re-check connectivity.

Code:
# sudo iptables-save > /root/firewall_rules.backup #To save current configuration
# iptables -F
# iptables -X
# iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
# iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
# iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

That will shut it all down. When you're done it should look like this:

Code:
# iptables -L -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

That shows that nothing is being blocked by the firewall. I noticed you were using nat options. Obviously this will kill those nat rules, but when you try to connect the tcpdump should show the packets arriving at the interface.

To restore your firewall rules:

Code:
sudo iptables-restore < /root/firewall_rules.backup
and then check to make sure they were properly restored:

Code:
# iptables -L -n

Hope this helps...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!