[SOLVED] Can't Login to TrueNAS VM Webpage

davis.jacobj

Sep 24, 2021
I got ProxMox installed on a Dell Poweredge r710 and setup a VM running TrueNAS on it. I setup TrueNAS to run on IP address 192.168.1.213. However, when I point my browser at this IP, I don't connect to anything. If I try to ping this address on either my desktop or via the ProxMox console, I get no response.

By default, here are my network adapters:
2: eno1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether d4:ae: brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
altname enp1s0f0
3: eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altname enp1s0f1
4: eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altname enp2s0f0
5: eno4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altname enp2s0f1
6: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 46:b4: brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.1.212/24 scope global vmbr0
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 fe80::/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

The VM hardware is setup to use the vmbr0 bridge. Model is VirtIO. I tried disabling the firewall option to see if that was the cause to no avail.
I also tried setting up TrueNAS to use DHCP and it doesn't ever get an address, indicated both on the TrueNAS boot up screen and on my router.
I looked up various tutorials on YouTube showing how to install a TrueNAS VM into ProxMox and they all seem to just work after installation so I didn't get any hints there.

I'm not sure what to do from here to troubleshoot this so any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Disclaimer: This is my first time ever booting up a server and using ProxMox or TrueNAS so some of these questions might be stupid. I have done some Googling but I don't necessarily understand all the technical advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What is cat /etc/network/interfaces returning?

Because sounds ok so far.

Last edited:
auto lo iface lo inet loopback auto eno1 iface eno1 inet manual iface eno2 inet manual iface eno3 inet manual iface eno4 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbr0 inet static address 192.168.1.212/24 gateway 192.168.1.1 bridge-ports eno1 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0

From the Proxmox side that all looks fine. Maybe a wrong network configuration inside TrueNAS?

So I realized I could spin up some more VMs to do some testing. I installed Ubuntu and DHCP worked fine and I was able to see the machine on the network. This prompted me to completely delete the VM instance for TrueNas and reinstall. Upon reinstallation, I was able to see TrueNas on the network. I never found out what was originally wrong with it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!