[SOLVED] Cant login to console / ssh / web after recent upgrade

apoc

Famous Member
Oct 13, 2017
Hello Proxmox team/community,

after recently updating my system (today) I experience a very strange issue after rebooting the system.

I seem to be unable to login. Since I have not shut down my browser I am still connected to the Proxmox web interface on this browser but all other tries to authenticate fail.

I have tried to login via
- SSH (authorized keys and password)
- Console (web)
- IPMI console

All methods report "authentication" failed. The Proxmox syslog message looks similar to this:
Code:
Jun 04 13:26:20 proxmox pvedaemon[13927]: authentication failure; rhost=<my ip> user=root@pam msg=Authentication failure

Cron seems affected as well:
Code:
Jun 04 13:20:01 proxmox cron[13871]: Authentication failure
Jun 04 13:20:01 proxmox CRON[4452]: Authentication failure

Interestingly the VMs do start via autostart ok.

It looks to me that the PAM service might be not running, but then why can I use the web session still and also see "success" messages opening the web-console in syslog?
Code:
Jun 04 13:24:15 proxmox pvedaemon[13927]: <administrator@pam> starting task UPID:proxmox:00007A0D:0102C87B:5B15215F:vncshell::administrator@pam:
Jun 04 13:24:16 proxmox pvedaemon[13928]: <root@pam> successful auth for user 'administrator@pam'

Any help/pointers is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Thomas

/edit
I decided to move on and test my backup-procedure. I have re-set my boot-device to a state from last year (thanks to DD backup).
It was a Proxmox VE 5.1-36 with Kernel 4.13.4.1 and after successfully booting that replaced the config files with the newest ones I have.
After running all the upgrade procedure again from this state the behavior has gone away. There must have been some glitch at some place - whatever. An odd issue still ...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!