Can't kill backup process

ejmerkel

Sep 20, 2012
I have a standalone Proxmox 4 host which has a hung backup process. I have tried killing the processes from the GUI with no luck and I have also tried killing it from the command line with kill -9 PID but they will not go away.

52700 root D ? 00:00:38 task UPID:fre-he-hv01:0000CDDC:16393A69A:5AAE54C2:vzdump::root@pam:
68988 root D ? 00:10:18 lzop

Is there any other way to stop processes without a reboot of the entire server?

Best regards,
Eric

Yes, there must have been a glitch in the NFS connection or something. Other servers are working fine backing up to the same NFS server. I tried forced unmounting the NFS mount to see if that would cause the process to close but that didn't help either.

If I just remove /var/run/vzdump.lock and /var/run/vzdump.pid will I be able to run backups again without any issue? I plan on backing up the VM's and moving them to another server so I just need to get backups running again.

Eric

If I just remove /var/run/vzdump.lock and /var/run/vzdump.pid will I be able to run backups again without any issue? I plan on backing up the VM's and moving them to another server so I just need to get backups running again.

I suggest to reboot if those NFS mounts still hang.

The NFS seems to be working ok touch when I just move files back and forth. So would it be ok to just remove the lock and pid files and try another backup?

Eric

No, because it seems the existing NFS connections hangs, so there are running processes still using those stale handles, and you cannot kill them.

Reactions: dailyxe
okey. this is a workround this :cool:

for example:
umount -f /mnt/pve/<NAME OF MOUNT> and then kill it in consol by kill -9 or in gui. takes 1min but easy to fix.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!