Can't install NVIDIA vGPU 16.7 host driver

gerog

Aug 2, 2024
Hey everyone.
I am trying to get my two NVIDIA Tesla P40s running with the vGPU driver, but for some reason I always get this error during the installation:

Code:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia-vgpu-vfio.ko'.
This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources,
with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel,
or if another driver, such as nouveau, is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA device(s),
or no NVIDIA device installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

I have already blacklisted nouveau, but I still get this. Also the newest vGPU driver (17.3) went up just fine, but I found out, that the latest version that supports the P40 is the 16, so this error comes from the installation of 16.7.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hi,

This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel,
this message says when this happens normally, so which kernel do you run and which kernel sources do you have installed?

e.g. what is the output of 'pveversion -v' and 'dpkg -l | grep proxmox-headers'

Thanks for your reply, this is the output of "pveversion -v":
Code:
proxmox-ve: 8.2.0 (running kernel: 6.8.8-4-pve)
pve-manager: 8.2.4 (running version: 8.2.4/faa83925c9641325)
proxmox-kernel-helper: 8.1.0
proxmox-kernel-6.8: 6.8.8-4
proxmox-kernel-6.8.8-4-pve-signed: 6.8.8-4
proxmox-kernel-6.8.8-2-pve-signed: 6.8.8-2
proxmox-kernel-6.8.4-2-pve-signed: 6.8.4-2
and this is the output of "dpkg -l | grep proxmox-headers":
Code:
ii  proxmox-headers-6.8                  6.8.8-4                             all          Latest Proxmox Kernel Headers
ii  proxmox-headers-6.8.8-2-pve          6.8.8-2                             amd64        Proxmox Kernel Headers
ii  proxmox-headers-6.8.8-4-pve          6.8.8-4                             amd64        Proxmox Kernel Headers

It seems like I found a solution by using the 16.5 driver and PolloLoco's patch. It installed perfectly and I see all the available vGPU profiles.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!