[SOLVED] Cant do an upgrade task in GUI with an admin account from PVE realm

ggambini

Sep 4, 2024
Hello

I have a little cluster with 4 nodes. I also create some users at "datacenter" level in PVE webUI and give them administrator builtin role on / path. When im logged with one of this users, "upgrade" button is disabled in update menu on each host. If im logged with PAM root, upgrade button not disabled.

I cant find what i have miss in my configuration, if someone have some hints :)

Have a nice day, Gamb.

Hi, can you please share the ACL for the admin user? you can find the ACL in /etc/pve/user.cfg this can help us to see if the permission you gave to the user is correct or not.

upgrading is only possible for root@pam, since it effectively gives you a root shell on the host.

Reactions: Moayad
Hello

Thanks for replying. Here my user.cfg (without real login ofc) :

Code:
user:titi@pve:1:0::::::
user:toto@pve:1:0:::::x:
user:root@pam:1:0:::root@domain.fr::x:

group:admin:toto@pve,titi@pve::

role:admin:Datastore.Allocate,Datastore.AllocateSpace,Datastore.AllocateTemplate,Datastore.Audit,Group.Allocate,Mapping.Audit,Mapping.Modify,Mapping.Use,Permissions.Modify,Pool.Allocate,Pool.Audit,Realm.Allocate,Realm.AllocateUser,SDN.Allocate,SDN.Audit,SDN.Use,Sys.AccessNetwork,Sys.Audit,Sys.Console,Sys.Incoming,Sys.Modify,Sys.PowerMgmt,Sys.Syslog,User.Modify,VM.Allocate,VM.Audit,VM.Backup,VM.Clone,VM.Config.CDROM,VM.Config.CPU,VM.Config.Cloudinit,VM.Config.Disk,VM.Config.HWType,VM.Config.Memory,VM.Config.Network,VM.Config.Options,VM.Console,VM.Migrate,VM.Monitor,VM.PowerMgmt,VM.Snapshot,VM.Snapshot.Rollback:

acl:1:/:@admin:Administrator,admin:

@fabian : Its confirmed that a @pve user cant do upgrade task on pve node ? Ideally, each administrator have his own user (for auditing) and root@pam only used as a backup account. It not possible to do this ? sad :(

Best regard, Gamb.

Hello

Thank you for this confirmation and detailed informations.

Have a nice day, Gamb.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!