Cant create vm - proxmox telling me disc is full when i can see theres 600gb or so free.

ComfySofa

Feb 7, 2021
As above...ive been googling...still am...deleted my old Home assistant installation and now cant create a new one...well, ive managed to create a vm but cant import the qcow image...i get this in the command line output...

WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.

in one view in lvm it shows as being 98% full but "local-lvm" shows as being 34% full - so at this point im totally lost....ive found links pointing you to other posts on here but i cant really make any sense - being a novice my simple brain tells me that old vm images are still populating the disc so it kinda needs to be "defragged"...??

Cheers to anyone that helps...need to get my home assistant running again!!

Just to add i dont want to extend anything....i know ive got free space....i just want to use that...

Last edited:
Can you post the output of the following commands? Can you also post the ID of the VM?

Code:
pvs
vgs
lvs

Hi there - here you go.

root@opti:~# pvs
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/nvme0n1p3 pve lvm2 a-- <930.51g 16.00g
root@opti:~# cvs
-bash: cvs: command not found
root@opti:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 12 0 wz--n- <930.51g 16.00g
root@opti:~# lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- 794.30g 33.24 1.26
root pve -wi-ao---- 96.00g
swap pve -wi-ao---- 8.00g
vm-100-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 4.00m data 14.06
vm-100-disk-2 pve Vwi-aotz-- 32.00g data 22.29
vm-101-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 50.00g data 80.67
vm-102-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 4.00m data 14.06
vm-102-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 200.00g data 23.44
vm-102-disk-2 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 4.00m data 1.56
vm-103-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 4.00m data 14.06
vm-103-disk-1 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 300.00g data 56.56
vm-103-disk-2 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 4.00m data 1.56
root@opti:~#

I think I see where the confusion is coming from. LVM Tab is showing 98% because you allocated that much space from your Physical Volume (/dev/nvme0n1p3) to your Volume Group (pve).

Your thin pool (that is located on the pve Volume Group) is 34% full, which means that it is using 34% of the space it got allocated from the Volume Group.

Its just two different values for two different things, so nothing is off there.

The warning you are seeing means that the size of all Logical Volumes that you created from your thin pool exceeds the size of the thin pool.

As an example: You can create a 100 GB Logical Volume on a thin pool but then only store 10 GB of data on it. The Logical Volume will then only use 10 GB even though its size is 100 GB.

The warning means that the size of all Logical Volumes you created is bigger than the total size of the pool (also called overprovisioning). This means that if you were to use the size of all Logical Volumes fully this would exceed the size of the data LV.

The warning should not prevent you from importing an image, as it is just a warning - so it is not the reason why you cannot import the image (it's just a warning after all). What is the exact output from the task that tries to import the image? There has to be some other reason for why you cannot import the image.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!