cant connect from cluster to node via ssh without password

informant

Renowned Member
Jan 31, 2012
hi all, after last time we have the problem, that we can not connect from cluster to all nodes without passwort. 2 nodes we can connect without passwort via ssh from cluster but many other nodes we get a passwort question to login via ssh from cluster. other way not working node to cluster login via ssh works without password. but cluster to node only with. how can we fix it? any ideas?
regards

Can you check what option is set for 'ChallengeResponseAuthentication' in the sshd config under '/etc/ssh/sshd_config' on the nodes asking for a password? Also is there a private key '.ssh/id_rsa' in the home folder of the node you want to connect from?

hi, ChallengeResponseAuthentication is set to "no". i have readd ssh key, after remove manualy in etc keys and in know-hosts, and it works fine. thanks. best regards

hi, ChallengeResponseAuthentication is set to "no". i have readd ssh key, after remove manualy in etc keys and in know-hosts, and it works fine. thanks. best regards
Hi, seens that I have a similar issue, can you please explain in detail what leads to your success ? What files did you clear/remove ? Thx in advance

Hi, in my case there was an issue with permissions of /etc. I found it by running a second sshd on one node

/usr/sbin/sshd -p222 -d

and

ssh -vvv -p 222 node2

the server then complains about:

Code:
debug1: trying public key file /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
debug1: fd 4 clearing O_NONBLOCK
Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory /etc

Ownership was:

drwxrwxrwx 104 root root 12288 Oct 19 06:25 etc

a

chmod go-w /etc

did the trick but no glue how the permission changed on /etc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!