Can't add more than 16TB hdd to kvm guest!

rayhan17c

Mar 3, 2020
Hello, fellow proxmox users, this is my first thread. I hope you guys are doing well in this pandemic. So I bought this Dell 720xd 2u 72tb+320gb server last month and decided to configure this week and chosen proxmox. I configured everything and added the raid 5 storage to the proxmox. Now I can't add more than 16tb HDD in a single drive to KVM guest ubuntu. Can you guys tell me how can I solve this? if there's any workaround?

Thanks, everyone :)

I guess you use ext4 as file system? If so, maximum ext4 file size is 16TB. You do not run into such limits if you use lvm or zfs.

I guess you use ext4 as file system? If so, maximum ext4 file size is 16TB. You do not run into such limits if you use lvm or zfs.
Yes, I have used ext4 on my raid5 72tb storage. I guess i have to change it then. Thanks :)

Another thing is I used hardware level raid 5 on Dell 720 xd system. should I remove the hardware level raid and do zfs pool on proxmox?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!