Can't add a new node to a cluster

SagnikS

Feb 23, 2018
Hi,
I have a cluster with 7 nodes, running for quite some time, smoothly. But on trying to add another node, it seems to fail, and I can no login to the 8th node using SSH (my SSH key was added, it asks me to provide a password, and the root password doesn't work either). Same for the Proxmox webinterface on the 8th node.
I'm using the GUI to add the node. I tried this 2 times, and I got the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
I have a cluster with 7 nodes, running for quite some time, smoothly. But on trying to add another node, it seems to fail, and I can no login to the 8th node using SSH (my SSH key was added, it asks me to provide a password, and the root password doesn't work either). Same for the Proxmox webinterface on the 8th node.
I'm using the GUI to add the node. I tried this 2 times, and I got the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What happens if you try via CLI
Code:
pvecm add <ip-address>

Reactions: SagnikS
Steps to verify
1. Login to 8th Node
2. Check you are able to ping all nodes via names and IP, check /etc/hosts file for relevant entry
3. do the following
pvecm add <ip address of the cluster master>

4. pvecm updatecerts

Reactions: SagnikS
Thank you for your replies. It worked on the third try. I'll keep in mind if it happens again. Appreciate it!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!