Can't access web interface or ssh

remorsebelize

Apr 4, 2024
Hello.

I've been struggling with this issue for weeks. For weeks now i have only had one container running and have been working fine. I noticed last time i tried to add more VMs or containers, it would stop responding - meaning:
  • I would not be able to access the web interface on
    Code:
    https://192.168.113.40:8006/
  • I would not be able to access the proxmox host or any of the VMs/Containers wit
    Code:
    ssh user@<ip>
I hooked up the server with a monitor and a keyboard and decided to troubleshoot this a bit. I'm not too familiar with what to check for in proxmox stuff, so i just did the basics.

Upon starting it up, i saw these messages:
Screenshot from 2024-04-27 10-33-44.png

After a quick google search, someone mentioned that i could fix this by updating the bios. Which i did only a few minutes later:
Screenshot from 2024-04-27 10-35-02.png

I then verified that it had actually updated the bios. I still wasn't able to access proxmox through the web interface, so i updated all the packages by running:
Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

It updated a bunch of stuff, mostly proxmox packages. After a reboot once again, i am still getting the same result:
No access to proxmox web interface or ssh to proxmox.

Can i have some pointers on what to do?

Whilst a BIOS update might address those ACPI errors, you mention it's been running fine shortly before that. So, unless you also updated the BIOS before the issue arose (or updated the kernel), I think it unlikely those error messages are connected to the problem. Many/Most motherboards display at least some kernel ACPI errors. Many are of no consequence. Linux complains about ACPI implementaion on every machine I have installed and it is due to incomplete vendor BIOS's (targetted and tested on windows only). I'd look elsewhere for the cause of your problem. But to be certain, search on that ACPI method/error and determine what hardware device/function it is associated with. Look at the system logs for other clues.

Last edited:
Never run that. This might screw up your PVE. Only use apt dist-upgrade or apt full-upgrade because otherwise no dependency problems would be solved.
And it was a particularly inopportune moment to make that mistake with the 8.2 release just appearing.

Whilst a BIOS update might address those ACPI errors, you mention it's been running fine shortly before that. So, unless you also updated the BIOS before the issue arose (or updated the kernel), I think it unlikely those error messages are connected to the problem. Many/Most motherboards display at least some kernel ACPI errors. Many are of no consequence. Linux complains about ACPI implementaion on every machine I have installed and it is due to incomplete vendor BIOS's (targetted and tested on windows only). I'd look elsewhere for the cause of your problem. But to be certain, search on that ACPI method/error and determine what hardware device/function it is associated with. Look at the system logs for other clues.
I updated the bios about 12 hours ago, but had been running proxmox on the old bios for like 3 weeks now just fine.
What i did just now was to run
Code:
apt-dist upgrade
and then i was able to reach the web interface again. This is quite weird, but now it works!

Proxmox is out again, same symptoms. How does one even troubleshoot this? Looking at other threads trying to figure out the appropriate location for logs.

From your physical console, go ahead and type "root, enter, password, enter".
If the machine is at all responsive, it will get you to the shell.
There you can check "dmesg" and "journalctl -n 100" (or 100+). That will hopefully give you a thread to pull for the debug.
You can also run: "ps -efww" (learn about processes), or "top" (to see if anything is hogging the CPU).
Check your networking : "ip a". Pay particular attention to the state of the interface.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!