Can't access PVE GUI after adding PCI card

dust_bro

Nov 25, 2021
As the title says, I'm unable to reach the PVE GUI after I add a PCI card to my system. I believe it has to do with my NIC changing positions but I'm unsure what to do about it.
When I run lspci -v without the PCI card, I get:
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)

When I run lspci -v WITH the new PCI card installed, I get:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)

What would you recommend?

Adding or removing a PCI(e) device can shift the PCI ID-number of other PCI(e) devices. The name of the network device(s) is based on the PCI ID-number of the NIC.
Login to the Proxmox host console (after adding the PCI card) and run ip a to find the new name of the network devices (which will be very similar to the old name). Then edit all occurrences of the old name in /etc/network/interfaces to match the new name and reboot.

As I already wrote this, I'm post this short summary but indeed there are several threads about this on the forum. Thanks to @Neobin for finding one.

Reactions: Neobin and dust_bro

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!