Can't access ProxMox host from different network

CGatWG

May 9, 2018
I have ProxMox 5.1 setup on an IBM x3550 M3 machine. Using /etc/network/interfaces I have given the machine IP address 192.168.50.71, and a bridge address of 192.168.50.110. It is connected to a switch dedicated to the 192.168.50.x network.

My PC (ip 10.10.10.150) is on a seperate switch, dedicated to the 10.10.10.x network. Both the 10.10.10.x switch and the 192.168.50.x switched are plugged into the same firewall.

The ProxMox machine can be pinged by any machine on the 192.168.50.x network, and my machine on the 10.10.10.x network can ping any machine on the 192.168.50.x network EXCEPT for the Proxmox machine.
I tried turning off the pve-firewall service, and no change. I tried plugging in a laptop using the same cable from the ProxMox machine and changed it's ip address to 192.168.50.71 and my machine can now ping the IP address.

So it appears that something in ProxMox is allowing communication from the same 192.168.50 network, but not from the 10.10.10.x network. Any ideas on what is stopping it from talking to the other network, and/or how to fix it?

Could you please post the output of "ip route show", and the contents of "/etc/network/interfaces", as well as the output of "pveversion -v" ?

Stoiko, thanks for the reply. My apologies that I have been busy at work to reply.

So long and short, after spinning up the host machine and validating the network was all up, everything was working. I don't understand it, as I tried multiple reboots and verifications before posting my message, but I don't believe anything has changed since then.

So, I guess we chalk it up to a ProxMox noob in action.

You're welcome - glad it works now :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!