Cant Access GUI after changing the host ip address of proxmox

mattman110

Renowned Member
Jun 15, 2014
hello all

so i have had a network change that required me to change proxmox ip address, so i did this in the gui and now have no access to it after a reboot

ive checked the host and hostnames file and the new machine ip address is there.

ive tried looking this up, lots of results but no soluition

i now cant access the machine via ssh ( get the log in page but it hangs aftet the password is entered)

i have 5 containers on this machine so dont want to reinstall proxmox.

can anyone help ?

i now cant access the machine via ssh ( get the log in page but it hangs aftet the password is entered)
* does it work after a long time (maybe 1 minute)? - If yes I'd guess that your DNS-settings are wrong
* What's the output of 'ssh -vvv root@<proxmox-nodename>'?
* if you have access to the host (directly on the keyboard/monitor) - what's the output of:
* `uname -n`
* `hostname -f`
* `ping $(uname -n)`
* (also check `journalctl -b` for any hints to what's not working correctly)

I hope this helps!

* does it work after a long time (maybe 1 minute)? - If yes I'd guess that your DNS-settings are wrong
* What's the output of 'ssh -vvv root@<proxmox-nodename>'?
* if you have access to the host (directly on the keyboard/monitor) - what's the output of:

* `uname -n`
Matrix

* `hostname -f`
Matrix.Nebuchadnezzar.Local

* `ping $(uname -n)`
PING MATRIX.Nebuchadnezzar.Local (192.168.10.9) 58(86) bytes of data.
64 bytes from Matrix.nebuchadnezzar.Local (192.168.10.9) : icmp_seq= ttl=64 time=0.014 ms
ect
etc
etc

--- Matrix.Nebuchadnezzar.Local ping statistics ---
21 packets transmitted, 21 packets recived, 0% packet loss, time 20034ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.006/0.014/0.029/0.007 ms

* (also check `journalctl -b` for any hints to what's not working correctly)

looking throught the logs
systemd-udevd[2408]: could not generate persistent MAC address for vmbr0: No sutch file or directory
Kernal: vmbr0: port 1(eno1) entered blocking state
Kernal: vmbr0: port 1(eno1) entered disabled state
Kernal: device eno1 entered promiscuous mode
Kernal: IPv6 ADDRCONFIG (NETDEV_UP): vmbr0: link is not ready
ifup[2112]: Waiting for vmbr0 to get ready (MAXWAT is 2 seconds)vmbr

SAME FOR vmbr1
latter

Kernal: vmbr1: port 1(eno2) entered blocking state
Kernal: vmbr1: port 1(eno2) entered Forwarding state
Kernal: IPv6 ADDRCONFIG (NETDEV_CHANGE): vmbr1: link becomes ready

I hope this helps!

ssh access just hangs with no result i cant even get to the login now following a reboot.

please see the answer to the outputs, not all of the output is there as i had to manual type it out, but hopfully i have the important parts.

what's the output of:
* `ssh -vvv Matrix.Nebuchadnezzar.Local`
* `ssh -vvv 192.168.10.9`
?
(if copying plaintext is not possible a screenshot might be ok as well)

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I meant the output of `ssh -vvv ...` run from you workstation/laptop - i.e. what happens if you try to connect to the PVE-node via ssh...

but if you have an iLO you could also check if you can reach your gateway and 8.8.8.8 (with ping)

I hope this helps

so i can ping from proxmox
www.google.co.uk

what i cant ping from proxmox
any 192.168.10.x device
including my router ???

im not sure how to run comands in the ssh shell, im using putty to ssh in ?

ive just manual started one of my containers vm 101 and that os is set to get address via dchp, it dose and i can conect to that os on 192.168.10.62 so it seems to be a issue with proxmox talking on that range.

previsouly the ip was 192.168.0.9 and i changed it in the gui reboote, relised i cant connect, googled it found i need to update /etc/hosts. did this and hence were here as it still dident work.

hope this sheds some more light on it

ive just manual started one of my containers vm 101 and that os is set to get address via dchp, it dose and i can conect to that os on 192.168.10.62 so it seems to be a issue with proxmox talking on that range.
have you enabled some firewall rules?
(`pve-firewall compile` and `iptables -nvL` output on the node should show this for the node - if you have some other device inbetween yourself and the PVE Node - check that as well)

im not sure how to run comands in the ssh shell, im using putty to ssh in ?
not too familiar with debugging with putty - maybe https://centrify.force.com/support/Article/KB-5452-How-to-enable-debug-for-PuTTy-SSH-clients helps

In any case you need to make sure that your node can connect to its gateway first.

I hope this helps!

my options are looking slim.

is there a way i can back up all my containers from the cli so if i fresh install i save all my data?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!