Cannot send zfs snapshot to another host with ZoL 0.6.5.9

0xFelix

Oct 25, 2017
Currently I'm using PVE 5.1 on my host which comes with ZoL 0.7.2. On my backup server I have running OMV3 which is based on Debian 8 Jessie and comes with ZoL 0.6.5.9. To backup my datasets I'm sending snapshots from my PVE host to OMV3.

Recently I've created a new dataset on ZoL 0.7.2, but I cannot send snapshots of it to my backup host. The backup host receives the full snapshot and then one CPU spins at 100% until I shut it down, the zfs send/recv never completes.

I've seen there are some issues on the ZoL bug tracker concerning that issue and with PR #6616 the issue should have been fixed. According to PVE's release notes/changelog PVE 5.1 has this patch applied? I still encounter this bug and am a bit lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AFIK it fixed only for the receiver side.
0.6.5.x can send to 0.7.x
but not the opposite.

Upgraded OMV to 0.6.5.11, still same behavior. Guess I need to update to 0.7.X then...

In bug #6616 gmelikov suggest update both sides, because the are many edge-cases what can be triggered.

Upgrading to 0.7.3 fixes the issue, although it is a kind of a hack in OMV. Fortunately as of ZoL 0.7.3 DKMS style packages for Debian are available in the build process. I think this issue can be marked as resolved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!