Cannot retrieve backups from external SSD

Altremo

May 16, 2021
Good day, everyone!

Yesterday I have backed up all VMs to external drive to restore them on new ProxMox server. Since this is remote server I've asked support guys over there to connect SSD manually (can't do it by hand personally). Today they have connected this drive to new server but I can't seem to access it. I can see it as /dev/sdb in disk list, but can't access or restore backups from there anyhow. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

P.S: I've tried to do it through "add->directory" but I get this error: "create storage failed: error during cfs-locked 'file-storage_cfg' operation: mkdir /dev/sdb: File exists at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/DirPlugin.pm line 139. (500)"

Attachments

• 23512.PNG
    23512.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1
How did you formated and mounted the SSD on the old server to store the backups?

"/dev/sdb" ist just the drive. There should atleast be a partition ("sdb1" for example) and you would need to manually mount the partition with the right filesystem first. After its mounted you can add it as a directory storage.

As ext4, as I remember. Then I just backed up all VMs to it.

^UPD: Trying to access it gives me "Permission denied". Wth?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!