Cannot login to ProxMox WebGUI - any ideas as to why and how I solve it? :-)

Sep 28, 2026
1
0
0
Hello,
I am having trouble logging in to my ProxMox VE web GUI. . When I try to logon to the web GUI I cannot get past the login screen, despite using the correct user, password and realm (Linux PAM standard authentication). I get the message "Login failed, please try again". SSH login with the same user (root) towards the host IP works fine.

Running version of PVE is 9.1.4
It is a standalone/single host setup on an old HP-server
journalctl shows "pveproxy[2527414]: proxy detected vanished client connection" after each web GUI login attempt

I have restarted the pveproxy.service, no change except that the pvestatd seems to refuse to start
I also had a disk I/O error about a week back, so one of the ZFS pools disappeared, can it be related?
"WARNING: Pool local-zfs-single-6tb has encountered an uncorrectable I/O failure and has been suspended"

Other errors in the log that I have noted are:
pmxcfs[2232]: [status] notice: RRD update error /var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve-node-9.0/<HOSTNAME>: opening '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/pve-node-9.0/<HOSTNAME>': Is a directory
...
smartd[1856]: Device: /dev/sdg [SAT], 4 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
...
start failed - can't acquire lock '/var/run/pvestatd.pid.lock' - Resource temporarily unavailable
...
Failed to start pvestatd.service - PVE Status Daemon.

Do I dare to restart the server? The ZFS pool that failed holds no boot data so I suppose I should be fine restarting the machine?

Any help/input much appreciated.
 
Last edited: