Cannot log in to the web console: Connection closed (Code: 1006)

ColinDexter

Jul 3, 2023
On one of my nodes I cannot log in to the console via the web interface. I get the message: Connection closed (Code: 1006) /bin/login: 3: Syntax error: "(" unexpected. I already tried apt install --reinstall proxmox-widget-toolkit. But this was not the solution.

Reactions: kotovasia
Hi,

May you try to renew the certificate on your cluster using the following command?

Bash:
pvecm updatecerts --force

If that didn't help, could you please check the syslog looking for any error message?

Hi Moayad,
Thanks for the response. pvecm updatecerts --force gave no error messages. Also no error messages in the syslog. But still have the same error message

Hi,

Do you have any HTTP proxy? Did you check the firewall? Does the issue happen on different browsers as well?

I don't have an HTTP proxy and in another browser I get the same error message. I can open the console of the other hosts. It seems that something is not right on this particular host.

When I start the console I get the following error on the syslog

Code:
May 06 13:47:45 pve01 pvedaemon[2318660]: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/pve01 --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1
May 06 13:47:45 pve01 pvedaemon[1309]: <root@pam> end task UPID:pve01:00236144:02736D39:6638C357:vncshell::root@pam: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5900 --path /nodes/pve01 --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1

When I log in to another node and connect to that node I get the following error message: bash: line 1: /bin/login: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

It looks like a file is corrupt.

I have now also reinstalled pve-manager apt install --reinstall pve-manager But that didn't solve the problem either :-(

similarly:

Code:
ailed waiting for client: timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5901 --path /nodes/proxmox --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1

similarly:

Code:
ailed waiting for client: timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/usr/bin/termproxy 5901 --path /nodes/proxmox --perm Sys.Console -- /bin/login -f root' failed: exit code 1
It turned out that this was due to one of the two inactive machines in the cluster.
I used a cluster to transfer containers to a more productive machine and now I don’t need the machine from which I made the transfer.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!