Cannot install any more

danast

Nov 22, 2012
Hi,

this is about proxmox 3.x.

I tried to install following <http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid-p2> and it failed. When I tried to install again, it failed again. It seems proxmox installation does not really wipe anything nor zero superblocks or the like but just overwrite. So as a result dirty HDDs with previous data continued to have data where there shouldn't be any, like the volume group information.

As a last desperate measure I deleted all partitions from all drives using fdisk, but after rebooting from the CD it didn't manage to even setup a partition table.

So it seems, I really cannot use Proxmox without first using windows only to delete a hard drive clean. Is there no recovery floppy or disk or any conventional path considered to be taken to just erase a harddrive properly?

Thanks

Hi,

I tried to install following <http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid-p2> and it failed. When I tried to install again, it failed again. It seems proxmox installation does not really wipe anything nor zero superblocks or the like but just overwrite. So as a result dirty HDDs with previous data continued to have data where there shouldn't be any, like the volume group information.

As a last desperate measure I deleted all partitions from all drives using fdisk, but after rebooting from the CD it didn't manage to even setup a partition table.

So it seems, I really cannot use Proxmox without first using windows only to delete a hard drive clean. Is there no recovery floppy or disk or any conventional path considered to be taken to just erase a harddrive properly?

Thanks

You can download gparted from <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php>

Hi,

Thanks

I had exactly the same problem. I found a solution - here are my notes:

Boot from the Proxmox CD. At the boot prompt type debug.
Now you are at a command line.

You can also use dd command (it removes the partition table):
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1

Just remove MBR, without removing the partition table (thanks to Martijn van Vliet at original site):
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=446 count=1

Replace /dev/hdX with your actual device name such as /dev/sda. Use fdisk -l command to find out device name:
# fdisk -l

Output:

Disk /dev/sda: 251.0 GB, 251000193024 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30515 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 30384 243955057+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 30385 30515 1052257+ 82 Linux swap

So you can actually do it all from the Proxmox disk. It worked for me anyway. I think though that the install disk should remove the existing partition table, possibly with a warning that it's going to do it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!