Cannot get CEPH install to work.

TomEnns

Aug 2, 2022
I am brand new to Proxmox. I have 3 nodes in a Proxmox cluster, each with 16gb of ram, an i5 3470, two 1GBe NIC's, one 250gb ssd for boot, one 250gb SSD for storage and one 2tb ssd for storage. The hope was to create a CEPH cluster for storage for the few VM's I will be running. The SSD as the WAL disk and the HDD for actual storage.

I started by creating a new Linux Bridge connection for my second NIC on each node. The idea being that this NIC would be dedicated to CEPH. (Its only 1GBe but its all I got right now.)

Then I went to the CEPH menu on node 1 and clicked install. I let the install portion run and then it asked me to set the IP for the public and ceph cluster network. I set the Public IP to the new CEPH specific NIC and then tried hitting next. I get the following error:

Multiple IPs for ceph public network '192.168.0.235/24' detected on prox1: 192.168.0.235 192.168.0.236 use 'mon-address' to specify one of them. (500)

I had only selected 192.168.0.236 in the drop down for the IP, 192.168.0.235 is the IP of the other NIC on the node.

Now I cant do anything with CEPH. It appears to be not working as no monitors are created, upon trying to create a monitor again I get the same error. I assume now that there is no way through the GUI for me to fix the issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any other info from me is needed.

Hi,
I am brand new to Proxmox. I have 3 nodes in a Proxmox cluster, each with 16gb of ram, an i5 3470, two 1GBe NIC's, one 250gb ssd for boot, one 250gb SSD for storage and one 2tb ssd for storage. The hope was to create a CEPH cluster for storage for the few VM's I will be running. The SSD as the WAL disk and the HDD for actual storage.

I started by creating a new Linux Bridge connection for my second NIC on each node. The idea being that this NIC would be dedicated to CEPH. (Its only 1GBe but its all I got right now.)

Then I went to the CEPH menu on node 1 and clicked install. I let the install portion run and then it asked me to set the IP for the public and ceph cluster network. I set the Public IP to the new CEPH specific NIC and then tried hitting next. I get the following error:

Multiple IPs for ceph public network '192.168.0.235/24' detected on prox1: 192.168.0.235 192.168.0.236 use 'mon-address' to specify one of them. (500)

I had only selected 192.168.0.236 in the drop down for the IP, 192.168.0.235 is the IP of the other NIC on the node.
This is the drop-down for the public network, but both addresses are in the same network, so Proxmox VE doesn't know how to choose when trying to create the monitor on this node.
Now I cant do anything with CEPH. It appears to be not working as no monitors are created, upon trying to create a monitor again I get the same error. I assume now that there is no way through the GUI for me to fix the issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any other info from me is needed.
You'll need to specify the address when creating the monitor. The UI currently doesn't allow you to do this, but you should be able to use pveceph mon create --mon-address 192.168.0.235 on the CLI.

Reactions: TomEnns
You'll need to specify the address when creating the monitor. The UI currently doesn't allow you to do this, but you should be able to use pveceph mon create --mon-address 192.168.0.235 on the CLI.
Thank you for the explanation and the tip! This worked like a charm. I now have the cluster up and running!

Glad you were able to fix it :)
Please mark the thread as solved by editing it (above the first post) and selecting the [SOLVED] prefix. This helps other users to find solutions more quickly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!