Cannot do full clones on a running container without snapshots (Thin LV)

moxfan

Aug 28, 2013
Hi Guys

I can take as many snapshots as I need of a running Container both in the GUI and CLI, and PBS can make backups of a running LXC in snapshot mode without any issues. So why can't I clone a running LXC residing in a thin pool? I get:

"Cannot do full clones on a running container without snapshots (500)"

Why can Proxmox not take the snapshot and clone the Container?

Code:
proxmox-ve: 6.4-1 (running kernel: 5.4.157-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-13 (running version: 6.4-13/9f411e79)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-11

Last edited:
Hi,
Hi Guys

I can take as many snapshots as I need of a running Container both in the GUI and CLI, and PBS can make backups of a running LXC in snapshot mode without any issues. So why can't I clone a running LXC residing in a thin pool? I get:

"Cannot do full clones on a running container without snapshots (500)"

Why can Proxmox not take the snapshot and clone the Container?

Code:
proxmox-ve: 6.4-1 (running kernel: 5.4.157-1-pve)
pve-manager: 6.4-13 (running version: 6.4-13/9f411e79)
pve-kernel-5.4: 6.4-11
you can do
  1. snapshot
  2. full clone from snapshot
  3. (optional) remove snapshot
and the convenience feature you are asking for could be implemented along those lines too I suppose, but it currently isn't. Feel free to open a feature request on the bugtracker.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!