[SOLVED] Cannot delete LVM Volume group

bberny

Dec 11, 2020
Helllo,
I accidentally made a volume group named halo as seen on image, but cannot get rid of it, I want to free /dev/sdd from it1607706375355.png
I have tried pvesm remove halo with result of
delete storage failed: error during cfs-locked 'file-storage_cfg' operation: storage 'halo' does not exist
before that I tried lvremove halo and it outputs nothing and even -d or -v don't do anything
When I try to create new volume group I cannot, because the web UI says there are no disks unused.

Last edited:
That screen shows the Volume Group. But you need to work your way up to it in order for you to remove it.

Warning! You will lose anything in the specified Logical Volumes, Volume Groups, Physical Volumes if you follow this information. Be sure to back up anything you want to keep.
  1. run
    Code:
    lvdisplay
    1. Check to see if you have nay volume's still in that group
  2. If you do run
    Code:
    lvremove (nameofvolume)
    - This will remove that volume
  3. Now run
    Code:
    vgdisplay
    1. Check to make sure your volume you want to remove is there
  4. Now run
    Code:
    vgremove (nameofvolumegroup)
  5. Refresh the page, if it still not there you may need to run
    Code:
    pvdisplay
    1. Check to see if your Physical Volume is there
  6. Then run
    Code:
    pvremove /dev/sdxxxxx
    1. There can't be any active Volume Groups

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!