Cannot connect to vm from Internet

jfnklstrm

May 6, 2020
Sweden
Hello! I'm a noob at networking and virtualization (but a long time linux desktop user). I have a machine with two ethernet ports and two vm's.
I take a course on system administation so I need to ssh inte one centos server and one ubuntu server to do my labs. My machines have internet
connection and I can connect to the proxmox gui from Internet (outside the network).

My ISP does not provide static IP so I plan using a ddns service like dynu and ddclient on the vm's.

Can I set up the network so that each vm run ddclient and get their own adresses?

I have configured my two network cards as round robin to get good pass through.
I don't mind reading tutorials but I cannot find any article that adress this issue.

There are couples ways to do this.
Note.... you only need 1 client running for both machine, no needs of having 2 client. Setup static ip on local machines.
1. Check your router, it may have a dyndns client (example) option and you can enter the info of the account that you created with what ever service you decide to use. Them forward connection on router to the machine that you want to connect. DD-wrt and tomato firmware have this option as well.
2. You can have a windows machine running the client ip update. It doesn't have to be on the machine that you are going to connect. This is only a client to update your ip address if it changes and ad long machine reside on the same subnet it will be fine.
3. You can setup a vpn and use ssh keys to authenticate. Your router may have ssh that you can connect to and from there you can ssh to machines.
There is so many ways to do it, it's not right or wrong all depends of what you want to accomplish.
4. Opendns has a client ip update that you can use as well to look in the website what ip address you have and you can setup this at router level, very simple. This is a web filter but you don't have to setup any rules for web filtering if you don't want to.
https://www.opendns.com/
5. If you only require to connect via ssh, I will recommend setup ssh with different ports on both machines and forward connection to your machines at the router. Them download on your cell phone a ssh client to text the connection. After you get that done you can move to trying getting a dyndns client running. You may even don't need it. Your ip address is not going to change that often and second you can run a script on the server to send you via email ip address updates every 1 hr or whatever time you deside. Read below some info.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-find-my-public-ip-address-from-command-line-on-a-linux/

I hope this help you with your project....

Thank you so much Sergio_33 - I acctually have a dns client in my router so that will probably solve the issue right away. I had all focus on proxmox so I didn't even think about the router.

Don't forget if you have a cell phone that's your best tools to run a quick test and check that everything is working property.
I recommend an app call JuiceSHH for android devices. it's very simple to use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!