Cannot connect to Proxmox server via WebGUI

yesBuddy

Jul 15, 2024
I may or may not have typed in some wrong stuff:

IP-Adress for the server: 192.168.2.10/64
gateway (as well as the DNS server both equal to the "speedport" (telekom) router): 192.168.2.1

DHCP ranges between 30 and 230 so my static ip for the server shouldn't conflict with these...

I don't really know what to put after the / in the ip-adress, tried 0, 64, 16, 24 and none of them seemed to take any effect.

Here is a link to my tests and settings: https://postimg.cc/gallery/G9v401h

I'm no real expert when it comes to networking. General pings to the IP of my router are left with curl error 7 (also on my laptop, which is connected to the router via WLAN). However I ran some tests. I became aware of the 3: wlp4s0 [...] noop state DOWN [...]" message, but dont know what to make off it.

Behind the slash in your case should be 24, so in total 192.168.2.10/24
According to the ip a command you have 2 network-ports on this system, however one of them start with W which I suspect stand for Wireless or WLAN, which won't work most likely. Do you have your PC (or probably laptop) connected to your router with an ethernet-cable or not?
If not: Do that
If you (now) do: type in nano /etc/network/interfaces and replace the wlp4s0 in bridge-ports with enp3s0 (and only there), then restart your networking or pc/laptop

According to the ip a command you have 2 network-ports on this system, however one of them start with W which I suspect stand for Wireless or WLAN, which won't work most likely. Do you have your PC (or probably laptop) connected to your router with an ethernet-cable or not?
If you (now) do: type in nano /etc/network/interfaces and replace the wlp4s0 in bridge-ports with enp3s0 (and only there), then restart your networking or pc/laptop
Well the server is of course connected via LAN (at some point those green and orange LED's nex to the port just stopped blinking for some reason). Can you please tell me where you exactly see these informationen in the "ip a" command reply?

B
Besides... your solution fixed the issue. Thanks! Can you still please explain how you recognized the issue? xD Need to get more familiar with those stuff...

If you want to get a go at it yourself first, I would suggest to run the ip a command and do a little game of "spot the differences" between the screenshot you posted and what you see right now.

the words "state DOWN" for each of your physicial devices (the lo: or "loopback" doesn't count, and the vmbr's are virtual devices, so they also don't count) as well as that there isn't an "UP" or "LOWER_UP" between the <brackets> right after the port-name. Then, combinging that with the naming-scheme for physical ports, and that in your second screenshot this w(ireless) port was set as the uplink, I thought it was either caused by the wireless being used, or the ethernet being not-used (so not triggered by the system to make a connection) that caused the previous

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!