Cannot add lvm thin storage to gui

mlrtime

Dec 2, 2018
Hi I added a new disk, created the logical volume and converted to thin. I can see the storage device on the gui, and I can scan for the thin volume on the command line but I cannot see the lvm-thin device when I try to create a new vm. I did add it to /etc/pve/storage.cfg manually.

root@proxmox1:~# pvesm lvmthinscan local-lvmssd
240ssd

I can see it under Datacenter->proxmox1->Disks->LVM-Thin

Do I need to add it under storage?

If I try to create thinpool on the storage it says no disks unused

Yes, you have to do it over the GUI and not add it manually over the config.

If you do not have any knowledge about it, do not edit the files manually. AFAIK this file will be rewritten if you change anything on other storage entries.

So what should I do now, back out everything and do it by gui? Is there a guide for this? All the documents say to do via cli

It's the best way, yes.

You go to the cluster, then storage and add the LVM Thin. Over this, you only add an storage, yo do not create anything. If the storage isn't existing or has an wrong configuration it will fail to add it to PVE nothing more will happen at this moment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!