[SOLVED] Cannot access console of VM after installing Proxmox

tando

Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

I just started with Proxmox so i'm new on Proxmox and not experienced in this field. After i installed Proxmox i created an Unbuntu VM and after the VM configuration i started the VM. I went to the console to see what is happening on the VM installation but i ran into an error saying:
  1. connection to the server failed
  2. error connection timed out
I start searching for an answer to this problem and find out that when i use my own domain-name which i created for proxmox with a Lets Encrypt certificate i can't access the console.
If i just use the https:// MY IP:8006 it works and i can access the console.

To my knowledge this has to do with certificates. I imported the Lets Encrypt certificate but still i have no access to the console with a secure domain-name.
when i click on the console i see this in the url https://MY.Domain.com/#v1:0:=qemu/100:4:=certificates:=contentIso:::8::=acme were MY.Domain.com is the domain-name i choose for Proxmox.
It seems like Proxmox is using the certificates in the order that they appeared. My certificates that i imported is the last certificate. I don't how to instruct Proxmox to use the imported certificate instead of the self signed one. That is how i see it but maybe I'm wrong. I hope you can help me cause from what i see now is Proxmox a great product. I want to use it more and explore the possibilities and options that you have with this software.

Any errors reported if you open the browser's developer tools? The JavaScript console and network tab are interesting.

How do you open the (noVNC?) console? In the submenu of the VM or in a new window with the console button on the top right?

i found a solution to the problem. In my reverse proxy i created a websocket and that was the solution.

Reactions: dhettinger
In my reverse proxy
Now that would have been valuable information in the beginning ;)

Thanks for sharing the solution. I went ahead and marked the thread as solved. You can also do so yourself by editing the first post and selecting the prefix in the dropdown menu next to the title :)

Now that would have been valuable information in the beginning ;)

Thanks for sharing the solution. I went ahead and marked the thread as solved. You can also do so yourself by editing the first post and selecting the prefix in the dropdown menu next to the title :)
Thanks for doing it for me. I didn't know that since i am new to this forum

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!