Can you log into the VM on host machine?

Xa3phod

Jul 10, 2020
Question: Am I able to boot up the host machine and log into the Proxmox GUI and then log into the VM of my choice from that same machine? I want to be able to use multiple OSs without having the issue of dual or triple booting. Proxmox makes it a much cleaner process.

Thank you

Am I able to boot up the host machine and log into the Proxmox GUI and then log into the VM of my choice from that same machine?

Actually i not understand your question, can you give more details?

but i assuming as i understand, you can do that by creating a user and give him permission to control on a specific VM or XCL.

Actually i not understand your question, can you give more details?

but i assuming as i understand, you can do that by creating a user and give him permission to control on a specific VM or XCL.
What I want to do is have one box that I can hook a monitor to and turn it on, get the Proxmox GUI and then boot into any VM I have installed on the box. I don't want to log in remotely.

I think you want to have a nice desktop and run VMs as you please and perhaps Proxmox is not the best approach in that case.

Proxmox is by default a non-gui installation but I guess you could go for a Debian with desktop environment and add procmoc too it but I would probably go for a more desktop oriented virtualization like the ones suggested below.

I would go for any suitable Linux distribution (assuming that's what you want) and then install qemu/kvm and use virtmanager to install and manage your VMs. You will have the same virtualization as Proxmox but a different way to manage them but you could set your VMs to auto start and have them running "headless" on your machine.

If you prefer other OS, then perhaps VirtualBox or Vmware player could do the same for you.

I think you could run HyperV too but I don't use Windows and will not suggest anyone else to do that.

Good point. I can't run HyperV, it interferes with other programs I use. I currently use Virtualbox and I like it, but there it a huge performance hit and PCI passthrough isn't great. I wanted to be able to run two monitors. One with Windows for gaming and the other with either OSX or Linux for workstation stuff.

PVE ist just headless and got no desktop environment. So you can either...

1.) buy one additional GPU for each VM you want to display, use PCI passthrough to passthrough the GPU to the VMs. Then connect each GPU to a monitor and use a KVM software like Barrier for keyboard/mouse. Or you get a hardware KVM and plug your keyboard/mouse + all the GPUs into that to switch Display+keyboard+mouse between the VMs.

2.) add the desktop environment of your choice to your PVE host. For example describes here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11
With that your PVE host got a desktop and you can run graphical programs like a webbrowser, VNC client, RDP client, SPICE client, Parsec, ... or whatever on it to remote access your VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!