can vnc resolution be scaled/zoomed if too large?

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
Hi, I dont' know how and if I can do this.
I have a kvm server which I use at work with the desktop set to a 1600x1200 resolution which fits well my computer display at work.
But if I need to connect with another pc (eg: through a vpn from elsewhere) I could have a smaller computer display, like 1024x768, and login could be difficult because the opened browser window is 1600x1200.
Currently display is "default". Would other choice help in this respect?

I believe that vnc cannot adapt the remote resolution dynamically like rdp (on windows) or spice, but is there any way to make at least the VM "scale/zoom" the offered resolution through vnc/java to better fit in my current computer display?
Since the used pc could not support spice or rdp, I would prefer a more compatible solution. Would novnc help in this respect? This server is still on 3.1 btw.

Marco

hi,
have you tryed xrandr on the guest?

I didn't know what it was, but from what I see now, it seems an X/wayland client option?
Assuming that, I guess this could be set on a linux client (Mac?).
On windows, Ultravnc (which I use mostly) gives a zoom option... that works and helps in this case, it is probably something similar?.

But I can't guess how can I use this xrandr with the vnc/java that pve offers through browser, which is what I use now because it works on any client without installing anything (as I said before I don't know anything about novnc and if it has a "zoom" option) ?

afaik the browser vnc/console pve offers as "java console" is a vnc client by itself, so probably THAT client should use what you suggested? maybe using a different urs or an optional server parameter?

Marco

when I have to resize my screen and logged in with vnc or novnc it dosent mater on witch client. I resize the screen on VM side.
Windows and Mac on the windows manager and Linux with xrandr.
AFIK some VNC clients must reconnect to applied this changes.

what if you can't even log in, just because the original vm-inside resolution is too high that you can't even see the prompt?
think 1920x1080 on a 800x600 or 1024x768 client (something like this just happened to me).

ususally vnc clients can zoom the stramed video at connect time (like I said ultravnc works like that).
thay can also changhe color depth, used bandwith, enable view only, and so many other settings, negotiating options during conection.

I don't know about novnc, but for sure java/vnc could gain from similar options offered, at least maybe the zoom factor, because that could be blocking you to even log in.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!