Can someone please help me understand why my network is down on boot?

rykr

Aug 22, 2020
My system is z490 board with 10700 cpu and Intel I-225v lan. It is using igc kernel driver. The network works great after doing a `systemctl restart networking.service`.

ip link shows the network enp4s0 and vmbr0 as down.
systemctl status networking.service shows no error. Active says "active (exited". status=0/success.
dmesg | grep -I igc shows no error

This is a brand new install using the Proxmox 6.2 iso installer. I have changed nothing.

Since restarting network.service brings it online I have to believe it's something simple.

Thanks!

Hi,

Please post output of pveverion -v

root@pve:~# pveversion -v

proxmox-ve: 6.2-1 (running kernel: 5.4.34-1-pve)

pve-manager: 6.2-4 (running version: 6.2-4/9824574a)

pve-kernel-5.4: 6.2-1

pve-kernel-helper: 6.2-1

pve-kernel-5.4.34-1-pve: 5.4.34-2

ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1

corosync: 3.0.3-pve1

criu: 3.11-3

glusterfs-client: 5.5-3

ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1

ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1

libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10

libknet1: 1.15-pve1

libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.0.3

libpve-access-control: 6.1-1

libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.0-3

libpve-common-perl: 6.1-2

libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.0-10

libpve-http-server-perl: 3.0-5

libpve-storage-perl: 6.1-7

libqb0: 1.0.5-1

libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1

lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4

lxc-pve: 4.0.2-1

lxcfs: 4.0.3-pve2

novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1

proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1

proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.2-1

pve-cluster: 6.1-8

pve-container: 3.1-5

pve-docs: 6.2-4

pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200229-1

pve-firewall: 4.1-2

pve-firmware: 3.1-1

pve-ha-manager: 3.0-9

pve-i18n: 2.1-2

pve-qemu-kvm: 5.0.0-2

pve-xtermjs: 4.3.0-1

qemu-server: 6.2-2

smartmontools: 7.1-pve2

spiceterm: 3.1-1

vncterm: 1.6-1

zfsutils-linux: 0.8.3-pve1

Please upgrade to the current version and install ifupdown2 then reboot

apt-get upgrade shows nothing to do
apt-get disc-upgrade shows nothing to do
apt-get install ifupdown2 gives me a warning after I tell it to go ahead and install and says that I am attempting to remove meta-package proxmox-ve and it quits.

apt-get upgrade shows nothing to do
apt-get disc-upgrade shows nothing to do
apt-get install ifupdown2 gives me a warning after I tell it to go ahead and install and says that I am attempting to remove meta-package proxmox-ve and it quits.

ok I added the no subscription repo and installed ifupdown2. Doing the upgrade now.

please since the boot PVE do journalctl -b > /tmp/journalctl.log and send the log as attach

I wonder if this line has something to do with it:

Could not generate persistent MAC address for vmbr0: No such file or directory

I tried manually assigning a Mac address to the bridge. Didn't help. I tried changing the macAddressPolicy from Persistent to None and that didn't help.

I tried manually assigning a Mac address to the bridge. Didn't help. I tried changing the macAddressPolicy from Persistent to None and that didn't help.
ok I got that working by having adding bridge_wait 10 to /etc/network/interfaces. I guess it was just not giving it quite enough time. Now the host has network when it boots but my clients do not. Shouldn't it create a routing rule when my vm starts up to route traffic through the bridge?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!