Can replacing 2700 with 5600 speed up vms?

faz-e

May 30, 2023
Hi Folks,

Though I have been using proxmox in a very home lab capacity for about 2 years, but I would still classify myself as a noob and my apologies if I am posting it on a wrong thread, or if this has been asked before somewhere.

TLDR: Should upgrading from 2700 to 5600 make VMs faster?

Some context for what I do with proxmox:
  1. I need to test desktop apps on Ubuntu, windows and macOS
  2. Run the VMs, check what I need to check and restore them
  3. I do remote into VMs, windows with RDP and macOS with the built-in macOS VNC thing (host is MacBook).

Elaborating on my question:
  • I have been running these VMs on 9900k running on Asus strix z370 (not overclocked)
  • I moved the VMs to another setup based on Ryzen 2700 running on Asrock x370 Taichi
  • Problem is
    • VMs run relatively slow on 2700 than they do on 9900.
  • I don't really pass anything to the VMs.

Solutions I have tried:
  • 2700 has all the VMs on NVMe drives while 9900 had them on a single Sata SSD
  • Proxmox is using an IBM nic - in case the onboard nic was the issue, but it's not
  • Overclocked 2700 to 3.8, and while I do notice a difference in performance, it's still slow.
    • Specially when I remote access any of those VMs
I understand that both of these processors are not in the same category, but my question is more about the understanding of how big of a difference does the processor alone can make. Such that just changing the processor alone can make it around as good as the 9900 setup I had. Considering that a lot of folks are still rocking much older hardware and not much of them complaints similar to mine.

I am assuming my lack of knowledge about what processors in general can achieve, apart from just the speed difference, may have the answer and I won't end up spending on upgrades that are not meaningful.

9900, I want to spare for portable VR setup :p

Sorry for the long post, and thanks to anyone reading it.

Last edited:
you can compare cpu within VM with for eg. Cinebench.
For macOS, I'm not sure AMD can run it smoothly.

+ specs of Storage Drive
because SATA drives can outperform NVMe drives, not on bandwidth but in IOPS.
Entreprise/Datacenter SATA drives outperform easily consumer NVMe drives in sustained use.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!