Can Proxmox be installed in SUSE Linux

itskumaresan

Jul 21, 2021
Hello Team,

Good day to you.

I am exploring Proxmox. Would like to understand whether this can be installed in SUSE Linux?

SUSE Linux: SLE Micro OS / OpenSUSE Micro OS

Thanks,
Kumaresan P

Thanks for the quick info. I understand now.

Just checking if there is a way to extract only the proxmox modules/packages and get them installed onto SUSE.

Thanks for the quick info. I understand now.

Just checking if there is a way to extract only the proxmox modules/packages and get them installed onto SUSE.
it would take a lot of work to get it working properly, since we also package our kernel with extra patches and the dependencies are meant for debian, so you would have to also manage those in that case and that will quickly get out of hand :)

but if you just want to test/evaluate, then you could install PVE also as a VM in your SUSE linux (on libvirt etc.)

Thank you very much for the information.

I would like to understand why Debian was chosen for the proxmox and what's the rationale behind it.

Also, need to understand what makes it difficult to run proxmox on SUSE Linux. Do we have a roadmap in future to support other Linux Distros as well?

Please share some technical insights around these. It would be much helpful.

Also, need to understand what makes it difficult to run proxmox on SUSE Linux.
as i mentioned our packages also depend on a number of upstream debian packages, so you'd have to find the corresponding dependencies in SUSE (which may or may not work depending on the way those are packaged by upstream SUSE, or maybe not even exist on SUSE), edit our package sources and repackage them for SUSE. is it doable? probably. is it worth the effort? probably not, since afterwards you'll have to maintain those separate packages and everytime some dependency is changed you'll have to go over it again :)

I would like to understand why Debian was chosen for the proxmox and what's the rationale behind it.
it's an independent community based project, package repositories are stable and reliable, and there is a large package base compared to some other distributions. most system administrators will also be more familiar with debian since it's well-known and used around the world.

Do we have a roadmap in future to support other Linux Distros as well?
no, nothing of this sort is planned

hope this answers your questions! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!