can not select primary slave when bonding in active-backup mode in the "right" way

liska_

Nov 19, 2013
Hi,
I want to configure an active-backup bonding interface on proxmox 3.3 running kernel 3.10 and I need to select primary slave as it is a faster card connected to a faster switch. But unfortunately as a primary slave it is automatically selected interface with lower number, in my case eth2 instead of eth3.
I tried a solution described on debian wiki and lot of other modifications of interfaces file mentioned there and elsewhere :
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet dhcp
bond-slaves none
bond-primary eth3
bond-mode active-backup
bond-miimon 100
but it does not work. I found on debian bugzilla that it was a problem with squeeze.

Finally, I successfully used following solution - edit /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf and add these lines:
alias bond0 bonding
options bonding mode=1 primary=eth3

Is it possible to configure it in this way? I have read somewhere that this is not a correct solution, but at least it works and survives reboot.

Thanks for an answer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!