Can I use something else other than noVNC? For instance SPICE and xterm are both greyed out

titust11

Nov 18, 2021
I find noVNC pretty limited, can't do copy and paste. I tried everything. I thought I might have more luck with SPICE or xterm, but they are both inaccessible.
Any idea how to activate them?

For SPICE you have install the virt-viewer on each client machine and choose it in the VMs "Hardware -> Display" options. When you then open the terminal in PVE it should download a file and that file can be open with the virt-viewer to establish a remote connection. But you need to be fast...afer a few seconds the downloaded file isn't valid anymore. Best you tell your browser to open files with that extension directly with virt-viewer instead of downloading them.

Last edited:
Why don't you use the remote administration capability inside of your guest OS? Even if SPICE works, it is not as fast as using the integrated remote administion interface like RDP or SSH.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!