[SOLVED] Can I use PMG to filter an entire shared-hosting (Plesk) server?

Razva

Renowned Member
Dec 3, 2013
Romania
cncted.com
Hello,

I'm looking at ways to reduce incoming/outgoing Spam on my Plesk server and I was thinking to use Proxmox Mail Gateway for this. So here are some general questions:

1) Do I need to manually specify all domains that will be used on/by the Gateway?
2) Can I send/receive email via PMG? I don't want to store email, but use the Gateway as a relay as well.

Thank you,
Razvan

1) Yes, for receiving, you need to specify all of the domains.
What about sending? Can I send email through the Gateway without adding all domains that need to send? I could use this for filtering outgoing Spam from unpatched WordPress websites.

2) Yes, you can relay through Proxmox.
Great! So basically I can use the Gateway directly as an IMAP/POP/SMTP server?

I'm using a VM for the Gateway.

On another note, would you be able to spare 10 minutes from your time for a short Zoom/Skype call? I'm ready to donate for your time.

What about sending? Can I send email through the Gateway without adding all domains that need to send? I could use this for filtering outgoing Spam from unpatched WordPress websites.

Yes

So basically I can use the Gateway directly as an IMAP/POP/SMTP server?

No. The gateway simply filters email for spam.

would you be able to spare 10 minutes from your time for a short Zoom/Skype call? I'm ready to donate for your time.

Sorry, I'd get fired.

Are there any tutorials I could watch? There are a ton of PVE tutorials on YT and articles, but I'm really not finding anything about PMG.

The documentation is way too much for one to follow, there's a ton of info (which is a good thing, as long as you also have a quick start and/or a basic configuration guide).

Maybe somebody can throw me some basic instructions? I've setup DNS reverse, made proper network settings (including DNS) and issued/configured Let's Encrypt.

What should I do next? I guess that I need to set some whitelist of accepted incoming servers? How do I set PMG to send filtered messages back to the Mail Server?

I would really appreciate if anybody could do a "step by step crash course". Thank you!

@fgams
I would suggest to install PMG, setup ONLY 1 domain and play with it as a test, first work on inbound, play with settings, filters etc. then you can set outbound afterwards.
Given what you're trying to do, I'm not sure I would filter the way out, but that will probably need to be a switch of everything at once, meaning all email relayed through the gateway from the web server, not per domain.

I do hosting as well, so I understand what you are trying to do.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!