Can I use PBS for media files stored on hard disk?

steff123

Aug 1, 2020
Hey,
I am setting up a PBS for Backup my CTs/VMs and some files of PCs in the network using proxmox-backup-client. These backups I can store on a ssd. But there is also a NAS with a lot of media files stored on hdds and with a backup location on hdds. To keep the architecture simple I'd like to migrate the current backup process also to PBS with proxmox-backup-client. But I have I read that one should not use a hdd with PBS. Is it right? Or is there a way to use PBS for my extended use case?

Regards Steff

PBS needs IOPS performance and HDDs are terrible at that. The more data you need to store, the longer the maintenance tasks will take. Using ZFS with HDDs for data + SSDs for metadata might help a little bit with the GC tasks but verify tasks still would be very slow.
So depends on how fast you need your PBS to be. For a few TBs of data PBS on HDDs might be fine, but for bigger datastores it might take days or weeks to finish a GC or verify job.

Last edited:
Reactions: steff123

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!