Can I use iscsi on this version?

badji

Renowned Member
Jan 14, 2011
hello,
After testing on Freenas NFS storage, which works very well. I try to do the same on my cluster with iSCSI (OpenFiler).
I manage to connect my iSCI but not the way to upload...

always the same error message. :
Error 500: cant upload to storage type 'iscsi' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Storage/Status.pm line 271.

thank you very much.

Thank you Dietmer.
It will be added to the release futures?

Merci encore.

Hi,
how should that work?
For upload an iso or so you need an filesystem, not an lvm-storage for vm-disks (logical volumes). If you use one iscsi-disk instead for lvm for an filesystem you can mount this (but only on one node - except you use an cluster filesystem).

Udo

Hi,
with iScsi (or FC) you provides disks via network. PVE can use the disks like localdisk ( e.g. create an filesystem on the disk and mount as /backup) but the effort is to use the disk as lvm-storage. With this config you can access with many nodes the same lvm-disk (volume group) and each node can activate the vm-disks on the vg which are active on the node. And you can use live migration.

Of course you can do the same with nfs - but you have more layers between physical disks and vm-disk (filesystem...).

Udo

this sounds interesting udo,
can u please specify how do you do this? it would help me very much.

isn't iscsi a single point connection? how can you access the storage an multiple nodes at the same time?

Last edited:
this sounds interesting udo,
can u please specify how do you do this? it would help me very much.

isn't iscsi a single point connection? how can you access the storage an multiple nodes at the same time?
Hi,
i can't say about iscsi very much - i have played a little bit with this only. I use FC as SAN, but for the hosts it's slightly the same.
You can allow many hosts access one drive (perhaps you mean AOE (ata over ethernet)).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!