Can I run a two node ceph temporarily?

Digitaldaz

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2014
I've got myself into a bit of a pickle.

I had a 3 node ceph cluster running for a good couple of years no problem. I'm now upgrading to 6, I was going to switch to ZFS but I have changed my mind though I could be open to persuasion. I was going to reduce my node count in the DC to reduce power. All VMs fit on one node. I broke my ceph cluster and installed 6.2 on a standalone node and migrated all VMs to it using backup and restore.

Shutting the two other boxes down seemed to save very little, in monetary terms about £100 a month which isn't significant enough to go ahead with the idea.

I've installed 6.2 now on the other two boxes and installed ceph too but its obviously in a degraded state.

Will it be OK to migrate everything back then just add the other node into the cluster afterwards. I'm thinking it will but I thought I would ask.

The ceph setup is 4x960GB samsung sm863a.

I could potentially stick with ZFS and use the new replication. The nodes are IBM x3650 M4 with two e5-2650 in each and 192GB RAM. I have a hardware raid card and hba in each, I use the hw raid for OS.

TIA
Daz

Well, you will not get around it, will you? But it seems that you are more in a decision dilemma then in an implementation pickle.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!