[SOLVED] Can I restore a PMG 5.2-7 backup to a 6.2 host

Craig Tosi

Aug 19, 2016
I'm currently running a PMG 5.2-7 VM on a Proxmox VE host. I'm interested in doing away with the VM and running my PMG instance as an LXC container. So my question goes to whether I could simply run up a new container with the template available in PVE and restore a backup from the PMG VM? Is the PMG backup set that modular?

Or should I do an inplace upgrade of the VM to 6.2 and then backup/restore the config to a 6.2 container? Is that even Advisable?

Happy to hear any advice or experiences of anyone who has already walked this path.

As always - make a backup (also of your current PMG VM) and test it!

I'm currently running a PMG 5.2-7 VM on a Proxmox VE host. I'm interested in doing away with the VM and running my PMG instance as an LXC container. So my question goes to whether I could simply run up a new container with the template available in PVE and restore a backup from the PMG VM? Is the PMG backup set that modular?
That should work without problems (you need to set the IP and hostnames on the container correctly - this is not part of the backup, neither are the statistics and quarantine)

Or should I do an inplace upgrade of the VM to 6.2 and then backup/restore the config to a 6.2 container? Is that even Advisable?
That works too

check out the upgrade page on our wiki:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0

Thank you so much for your response. You've given me much more confidence in my thinking on how to approach this.

That sound good - let us know how the upgrade went (and mark the thread as 'SOLVED' if successful)!

For clarity, what I ended up doing was following my original plan. I backed up the PMG config from my 5.2-7 VM, ran up a PMG 6.2 LXC container using the PVE supplied template, then uploaded & restored the config backup to the PMG 6.2 LXC container. That all worked quite seamlessly. Inbound & outbound mail worked without issue.

The main reason I was looking to move to the PMG 6.x release was to get DKIM signing functionality. And this is where I ran into a small issue.

When I tried to either enable DKIM signing, create a Selector or a Signing domain I was getting errors about file or folder path to /etc/pmg/dkim/...... not existing. A quick check of the file system confirmed my suspicion that there was indeed no /etc/pmg/dkim folder. Once I created it manually, I was able to configure dkim as required.

So it seems that restoration of the 5.2-7 config wiped the /etc/pmg/dkim folder out of existence. That's not surprising I guess, I imagine the config restore replaces the /etc/pmg folder contents alltogether. I ran up another test PMG 6.2 container just to confirm that the dkim folder exists by default so just a little something to look out for I guess.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!