Can I rename the boot zfs pool?

Brian Read

Jan 4, 2017
I've installed with the system partition as a zfs mirror. It called it "rpool" which unfortunately clashes with the name of the data zfs pool I already had. Can I rename the boot zfs pool without compromising the boot process?

I realize I'll have to do that with a zfs enabled system booted from USB key.

Cheers Brian

I've tried it - renaming the pool under Ubuntu:

zpool export rpool zpool import rpool rpool0 zpool set bootfs=rpool0 rpool0 zpool export rpool0

But when I reboot into pve, the pool is still named "rpool"!

Last edited:
I've decided it will be quicker to re-install, hopeing that the "advanced" mode in the installer will allow me to set the pool name.

I suppose I could edit the .conf files to the new storage rpool name before copying them across to the new pve.

There is about 32.

Last edited:
I've done the edit and am now struggling to copy the /etc/pve contents to the new server. I've tar'd the directory up and copied it to the running proxmox but I guess because /etc/pve is in use it will not let me add/overwrite.

So I guess I have to run from a USB key (Ubuntu seems to work). However how do I mount the bootable zfs pool so that I can get at /etc/pve?

Imported the rpool "sucessfully" under Ubuntu and it has mounted it under /rpool. I can see ROOT and data directories but nothing more.

"/etc/pve" is no a normal folder, it's the contant of a SQLite datasbase munted via fuse as pmxcfs flesystem to "/etc/pve". So when booting a Ubuntu where the pvecluster service isn't running that /etc/pve won't be mounted and be empty. See: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_File_System_(pmxcfs)
Ok, I'll give up and just re-install and get the VMs etc from backup server. Just trying to avoid the 8-10 hour restore(s) that involves.

Thanks for the help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!