Can I reduce min frequency of Ryzen CPU from 2200MHz

marcosscriven

Mar 6, 2021
I just upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 5700G to a 5900X, and noticed the idle frequency rocketed from 900MHz to 2200MHz.

As far as I know, on the 5700G the 900MHz was even there with default Proxmox settings, which I believe is "performance" (though I don't know where that's set).

Anyway, I tried both `powersave` and `ondemand`, and the CPU won't go below 2200MHz.

I noticed that the 2200MHz is actually set as the minimum:

Code:
scpu | grep MHz                                                                                                                                          pve1: Tue Jun 28 19:32:08 2022

CPU MHz:                         2200.000
CPU max MHz:                     4950.1948
CPU min MHz:                     2200.0000

Is there any way to reduce this? I found an Ubuntu forum post on this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1415406/how-to-lower-minimum-cpu-clock-frequency

However, it doesn't really have a conclusive answer.

cpupower frequency-info will show the hardware limits for the cpu

Eventually the minimum can be adjusted in the BIOS but i guess your cpu will stay at 2200 MHz.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!