Can I open a vm on the server that ProxMox is running on?

trooperkhan

Aug 1, 2022
I installed ProxMox because I want to run ProxMox on metal, and spin up the OS image I need for a given workload as needed.
So, I kind of fumbled through the installer and noticed once the system is up and running that the debian OS that ProxMox is packaged with appears to be a headless OS.
I don't mind this, but I want to know if its possible for me to spin up a vm that's hosted on my ProxMox server on the server itself and output the display to the display connected to the server.
For certain workloads I can certainly log in remotely, but for gaming, I want to try playing on an OS that's running on the server to determine the mouse input lag and see how I like it.
So, my question is, can I spin up OSes on the server itself, and feel free to paste any docs that cover how to do this and I will gladly give it a go!
If not, I will try and install ProxMox on Debian or Pop OS and see how that goes.

I don't mind this, but I want to know if its possible for me to spin up a vm that's hosted on my ProxMox server on the server itself and output the display to the display connected to the server.
For certain workloads I can certainly log in remotely, but for gaming, I want to try playing on an OS that's running on the server to determine the mouse input lag and see how I like it.
Create a VM and use PCI passthrough to give it a GPU and a UBS controller (for keyboard and mouse). The forum is full of questions from people doing this.
If not, I will try and install ProxMox on Debian or Pop OS and see how that goes.
That is one way to do it. Alternativly, you can install a Debian desktop environment on your Proxmox.

Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!